The New South Wales and Victoria branch of the Air Conditioning & Mechanical Contractors’ Association (AMCA) separately hosted awards ceremonies recently. Both events were held in person, following the easing of COVID-19 restrictions across the country.
NSW Industry Achievement Awards
The NSW Industry Achievement Awards were held at West HQ in Western Sydney. Finalists were assessed on career and study achievements, communication, teamwork, leadership, and community service.
“All finalists have demonstrated an outstanding attitude and dedication to their training and development and will no doubt go on to make a great contribution to our industry,” says Executive Director of AMCA New South Wales, Adrian Shackleton.
The 2020 NSW Industry Achievement Award winners were:
Engineering Support Award
- Winner: Robert Barkley (D&E Air Conditioning)
- First Runner Up: Yang Zhao (D&E Air Conditioning)
- Second Runner Up: Ceery Ye (D&E Air Conditioning)
- Third Runner Up: Michael Pickford, Affil.AIRAH (A.G. Coombs)
Change Champion Award
Winner: Matthew Knight, Affil.AIRAH (Beaver Williams)
Onsite Trades Award
Winner: Marco Tapiador (ICR Air Conditioning)
Apprentice of the Year Awards
- Winner: Michael Wright (D&E Air Conditioning)
- Runner Up: Morgan Purdie, Stud.AIRAH (Beaver Williams)
Victorian Training Achievement Awards
Held at the Metropolis at Southbank, this year’s Victorian Training Achievement Awards played host to 100 physical guests – as permitted under current government rules – and also to family, friends, and colleagues of the award winners via a livestream.
Congratulating all the finalists, AMCA Victoria President Brad McAndrew said “the future is in good hands”.
Each finalist received $1,000, with a further $1,000 going to a charity of their choice.
The 2020 Victorian Training Achievement Awards winners were:
- Refrigeration and air conditioning: Kevin Navarro, Affil.AIRAH (Ellis Air)
- Mechanical plumbing: Brett Scholes (Allstaff Airconditioning)
- Young Achiever: Daniel Waack, Affil.AIRAH (A.G. Coombs)
Waack was also awarded the overall Training Achievement Award for 2020.
Pictured: (Left to Right) Brad McAndrew, AMCA Vic President; Brett Scholes, Allstaff; Daniel Waack, A.G.Coombs; and Kevin Navarro, Ellis.