This year TAFE NSW – Sydney Region Refrigeration Section hosted the annual student’s awards night at the Apprentice Restaurant, Ultimo. The organisers took advantage of this first-time event to recognise last year’s award winners too, as well as the 2019 WorldSkills Sydney region finalists.
“The event showcases passion, dedication and commitment the students, teachers and industry have towards the HVAC&R trade,” says Roger Beard, M.AIRAH, president of AMCA NSW, which fully sponsored the event. Industry partners Actrol, Airefrig and Stareast International donated student prizes.
The refrigeration section celebrated the success of its first indigenous empowerment program designed to provide pathways for indigenous students into the HVAC&R trade. Head teachers Russell Farnham and Grant Swanson were thrilled with the success of the program which was run in partnership with AMCA NSW members.
Award winners 2018
- 1st-year apprentice of the year: Kosmas Chronakis
- 2nd-year apprentice of the year: Michael Peers
- 3rd-year apprentice of the year: James Zallous
- Fast track in Certificate III Student of the Year: Paul Sardelis
- Diploma of Air Conditioning & Refrigeration Engineering Student of the year: Beau Hape
- Female student of the year: Stephanie Kearsley
Award winners 2019
- 1st-year apprentice of the year: Connor Edwards
- 2nd-year apprentice of the year: Ben Dolahenty
- 3rd-year apprentice of the year: Michael Peers
- Fast track in Certificate III Student of the Year: Aron Reading
- Diploma of Air Conditioning & Refrigeration Engineering Student of the year: Hong Tran
- Female student of the year: Sunny Franco
- Indigenous student of year: Haedon House
WorldSkills – Sydney Region Finalists
- Vasileious Tsakirakis: Gold Medal
- Ben Dolahenty: Silver Medal
- Elliot Rogan: Bronze Medal
- Kosmas Chronakis, Mathew Finn, Ben King, Geoff Perfrement, Jordan Lando: Finalists
In 2020 the Refrigeration Section will expand its operation at St George TAFE Campus with the delivery of targeted programs and courses in the HVAC&R trade. Skills sets and industry-driven training are key focus areas identified by Team Leader Irfan Hai and the head teachers of refrigeration. The new site will also cater for first-year apprentices and Certificate II in Engineering students, along with additional training sponsored by industry partners.
Featured image (left to right): AMCA’s Rob Barkley, Hong Tran, Connor Edwards, Ben Dolahenty, Michael Peers.