The NSW government has amended the Energy Savings Scheme (ESS) Rule to incorporate the 2017–2018 annual Rule updates. The Energy Savings Scheme (Amendment No.1) Rule 2018 in the NSW Government Gazette was recently published, and a consolidated version of the ESS Rule is available for download.
The amendments to the ESS Rule include:
- updates to allow the effective operation of the Household and Small Business Upgrade Program
- adjusted asset lifetimes under the Commercial Lighting Energy Savings Formula (CLESF)
- amended lighting product requirements under the Project Impact Assessment with Measurement and Verification method (PIAM&V) and Metered Baseline Method (MBM)
- updates to the Home Energy Efficiency Retrofit (HEER) sub-method, including updates to the Small Business Building definition and building fabric savings factors, and the introduction of a new ventilator activity
- inclusion of NABERS for apartment buildings
- other general improvements.
Please note that amendments to the ESS Rule commence on the following dates:
- April 20, 2018 for amendments that relate to the Household and Small Business Upgrade Program, as per Schedule 1 of the Rule;
- July 31, 2018 for all other amendments as per Schedule 2 of the Rule, except for amendments that relate to the Commercial Lighting Energy Savings Formula;
- November 1, 2018 for amendments that relate to the Commercial Lighting Energy Savings Formula.