News Public Comment

APCO seeks views on problematic packaging

Leading up to the 2025 deadline for Australia’s national packaging targets, the Australian Packaging Covenant Organisation (APCO) is seeking information on problematic packaging.

The targets, to be achieved by December 31, 2025, are:

  • 100 per cent reusable, recyclable or compostable packaging
  • 70 per cent of plastic packaging being recycled or composted
  • 50 per cent of average recycled content included in packaging (revised from 30 per cent in 2020)
  • The phase-out of problematic and unnecessary single-use plastics packaging.

In a recent webinar on these targets, APCO noted that Australia is making reasonable progress towards recyclability, hitting 86 per cent. APCO is now commissioning a deep analysis of the remaining 14 per cent.

As part of this work, APCO is running a survey to find out about problematic package that organisations are dealing with.

“Such packaging may be problematic because it is difficult to change (supply issues, concerns over product shelf life, concerns over operational/packaging machinery compatibility) as well as being of relatively small volumes,” says APCO.

The survey consists of 10 questions, and should take 5–10 minutes to complete. It will be open until Friday, March 17.

To take the survey here, click here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.